STREAMLINED SNOWFLAKE CONSTRUCTION
Snowflake templates (optional)
1. Start with a square piece of paper. (Tip: To cut a perfect square from a standard 8-by-11-inch sheet of paper, fold paper into a right-angled triangle; trim off excess.)
2. Fold paper in half diagonally to make a triangle.
3. Fold paper triangle in half so that the pointed corners meet.
4. Fold paper triangle in thirds, overlapping the lefthand pointed corner over the triangle.
5. Overlap the righthand pointed corner over the triangle. (Note: You may need to adjust these folds a little to get the sides to match up, so don't crease the paper until the folds are just right.)
6. Trim off the two pointed ends to make a paper triangle.
7. Cut your folded paper with variations of cutouts. (Tip: The ones with straight lines are easier to make than the ones with curvy lines.)
8. Unfold it gently. Don't worry if your snowflake isn't exact: No two snowflakes are ever alike. (Tip: To smooth out any creases from folding, lightly iron one paper snowflake at a time on a low setting. You can also spritz a little spray starch to stiffen and flatten out the snowflakes.)